The Durie house, a classic Dutch colonial stone farmhouse dating to 1811, is one of Haworth’s landmark houses. The owners retained Morpurgo Architects to expand the house to encompass a new kitchen and eating area.
The addition, in keeping with the historic character of the Durie house, extends all of the details of the original and includes an 1800’s stone wall, once part of the façade and now incorporated into the new kitchen. The interior kitchen space soars to a new ceiling height of 15 feet. The high volume allows a second floor loft to become part of the kitchen, through an interior window that looks out on the dining area and through the window wall with glass doors to the expansive yard and red barn beyond.
Existing historic areas were restored and new technology has been added, including radiant heated floors and state-of-the-art home automation systems, thereby blending 1800’s charm and the conveniences of modern times.